Registered Nurses may be employed in the U.S. under the TN category for certain eligible Canadian and Mexican citizens.  Some positions may also be eligible for the H-1B visa after CPT or OPT.  Additional information can be found here:

An RN applying for a temporary visa to work in the U.S. and/or permanent residence must obtain a Visa Screen certificate.  CGFNS is one company designated by USCIS to evaluate credentials for eligibility – tell them you need a Section 343 VisaScreen.  We recommend calling CGFNS often to check up on the Visa Screen process.  CGFNS often takes 4-6 months to review Visa Screen applications, so expediting is usually worth it (a few hundred dollars).

Nurses also have an alternative certification process. A foreign nurse may present a certified statement from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) or an approved equivalent independent credentialing organization if it verifies that the foreign nurse:

  • Has a valid and unrestricted license in the State of intended employment;
  • Intends to be employed in a state that verifies that foreign licenses are authentic and unencumbered;
  • Passed the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX); and
  • Graduated from certain English language nursing programs.