The J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa program allows foreign nationals to come to the U.S. for a temporary period for a wide variety of educational and cultural exchange programs. Exchange programs sponsor students, job trainees, faculty, professors and research scholars, specialists, government visitors and several other types of visitors. Detailed information about J-1 visas can be found on the U.S. Department of State website.

Other facts about the J-1 Exchange Visitor visa:

If you are currently on or have been on a J-1 visa, and you are not sure whether you are subject to the INA 212(e) two-year foreign residence requirement, you may send a written request for an advisory opinion. The Waiver Review Division will advise whether the INA 212(e) home residency requirement applies to you. The advisory opinion request should include all copies of DS-2019/IAP-66 documents issued to you, along with a self-addressed envelope, and should be sent to:

INA 212(e) Advisory Opinion Request
The Waiver Review Division, CA/VO/L/W
SA-1, L-603
U.S. State Department
2401 E Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20522-0106