• Current detailed resume or CV
  • Completed PERM education and employment history form
  • Copies of all diplomas, degrees, transcripts, and certificates
  • Education evaluation (if applicable and available)
  • Copy of passport (including front and back cover, all stamped pages, and I-94 card OR electronically retrieved I-94)
  • Complete copy of detailed immigration history and related documents, including non-immigrant documents, student documents, employment documents, etc.
  • Copy of W-2 and pay-stub from current employer
  • Marriage certificate with certified translation, if applicable
  • Children’s birth certificates with certified translation, if applicable
  • Principal Applicant’s birth certificates with certified translation, if applicable
  • Spouse’s birth certificates with certified translation, if applicable

FAQ: What if I was issued an electronic I-94? Some I-94s at air and sea ports are now issued by a passport stamp and an electronic record you can access online. Your electronic record of admission may be accessed at, please send us a printed copy or a screenshot. Land border entries will continue to receive a paper Form I-94 from CBP. If you have trouble accessing your electronic I-94 after several attempts and methods, you can contact deferred inspection. Find the closest deferred inspection site here. If you still cannot access your I-94, please let us know.


  • Address in the US and your address in your home country
  • Date of birth
  • City and country of birth
  • Current Nationality or Citizenship
  • Phone number (work and home)
  • What is your current immigration status?
  • When does your current immigration status expire?
  • Have you ever been through deportation proceedings? If yes, explain.
  • Have you ever been arrested and/or convicted of anything here or abroad?
  • Do you have a spouse and/or children? If yes, please provide: names, date of birth, place of birth, citizenship, and copies of all immigration documents.

Do not send us original documents. You should send us copies or scans of your items and keep the originals in a safe place. If you have sent us an item already, you do not need to send it again. Just let us know if you’ve already sent it.

You can either e-mail us scanned copies or mail us paper copies. However, we can only accept e-mails up to 25 MB in size. If you need to send us large amounts of information, please create a .zip file.

Feel free to send us your documents as they become available. There is no need to wait until you have everything. We usually can get started with just a few items. If you have any questions, or think that obtaining a necessary document will be difficult, don’t hesitate to contact us so we can discuss a plan to move forward.

If a document is not in English, then a certified translation is required. Our firm can order a translation for you at an additional cost, or you can have your document translated and certified using a translation certification statement, signed and notarized.  You may not certify translations of your own documents, nor those of any family member. For a translation certification statement, click here.