Important note for clients preparing I-485 applications: Please contact us before you make any international travel plans. Knowing your international travel plans will allow your attorney to advise you promptly on whether you have the appropriate documents to be able to re-enter the U.S. Your travel document based on the green card will be processed approximately 90 days from the time we file your Green Card Application.

Necessary Items

Documents and Information for U.S. Citizen Petitioner


  • Color copy of biographic information page of U.S. passport OR copy of birth certificate showing the petitioner was born in U.S.;
  • Color copy of naturalization certificate, if applicable;
  • Copy of your marriage certificate;
  • Copy of any divorce or death certificates from previous marriages, if applicable;
  • Two (2) passport-style photographs. Please see Photo Requirements;
  • Most recent federal tax return and W-2s;
  • Adjusted gross income for the past three (3) years;
  • Copies of your pay statements from the past two months;
  • Job letter from your employer stating job title, start date, and annual salary, signed by supervisor or HR representative.


Please answer the following questions:

  1. Are you related to the foreign national by adoption?
  2. If you were not born in the U.S., how did you gain permanent resident status (adoption, marriage, employment, etc.)?
  3. Have you ever before filed a petition for this relative or any other foreign national?
  4. Are you currently on active duty in the U.S. armed forces?
  5. How many dependent children do you have? How many other dependents do you have?
  6. What is your current employment situation (name of employer, job title, starting date and annual salary or estimated annual income)?

Documents and Information for the Foreign National


  • Color copy of your current passport biographic page;
  • Copies of biographic information pages for all passports used to enter the United States;
  • Copies of all US visa stamps and entry stamps from current and expired passports;
  • Copy of your most recent white I-94 entry card received upon entry to the U.S or printout OR screenshot/printout of electronically issued I-94.;
    • PLEASE NOTE: If you last entered the U.S. through Canada or Mexico and did not receive a new I-94 card, please send the date and place of your most recent entry.
  • Seven (7) passport-style photographs. Please see Photo Requirements.
  • If you have ever lived in the United States in another status (as a student, exchange visitor, worker, etc.) please send us the following:
    • Copies of all I-797 approval noticed received from USCIS, copies of all I-20s (if you were ever in F status), DS-2019s or IAP-66s (if you were ever in J status), I-612 J waiver approval notices;
  • Copy of your birth certificate;
    • PLEASE NOTE: your birth certificate must include your name, date and place of birth, and the names of both your mother and father.
  • Copy of your marriage certificate;
  • Copies of any divorce or death certificates from previous marriages, if applicable.

FAQ: What if I was issued an electronic I-94? Some I-94s at air and sea ports are now issued by a passport stamp and an electronic record you can access online. Your electronic record of admission may be accessed at, please send us a printed copy or a screenshot. Land border entries will continue to receive a paper Form I-94 from CBP.
If you have trouble accessing your electronic I-94 after several attempts and methods, you can contact deferred inspection. Find the closest deferred inspection site here. If you still cannot access your I-94, please let us know.


Please answer the following questions:

  1. Have you ever been under immigration proceedings?
  2. Please list the name, date and country of birth for your husband/wife and all children
  3. What is your current address abroad, if any?


I-485, Application for Adjustment of Status (pages 9-14 only)

  • Please fill in these forms as completely as possible and send them to our office along with the documents and information listed above.
  • You do not need to sign any of these forms. We will send you final drafts of all forms for your signature.
  • Please write “none” or “N/A” if the question does not apply to you.
  • You should not have a “File Number” or “A Number” unless you previously applied for permanent resident status.
  • If you have EVER has any problem entering the U.S., obtaining a U.S. visa, or ANY contact with the police in any country, please let us know.

Medical Examination

  • Each member of your family who is applying for adjustment of status is required to have a medical examination with a USCIS doctor.
  • PLEASE NOTE: USCIS medical examination results are only valid for one year. Please double check with the team handling your case before making an appointment for your exam.
  • The exam results will be returned to you in a sealed envelope. Please send the envelope to us unopened.
  • When you go to your appointment, bring a copy of the latest I-693 medical exam form, so that you can be sure the doctor uses the current form.
  • There is a vaccination requirement for the USCIS medical exam, so you should bring any vaccination records you have to the exam. If you do not have any vaccination records, you may be given inoculations during the exam and have to pay for them out of pocket.
  • Please note that all applicants must have a tuberculin skin test or a blood test during their USCIS exam.  Our understanding is that the blood test is more accurate but more expensive.  If you might test positive to the skin test (for example if you were vaccinated for TB), then it might be better to do the blood test.  If you have questions about this, please talk to your regular physician.
  • To find a list of USCIS doctors in your area, type your zip code into the Civil Surgeon Locator.

Joint Requirements and Documents for Interview

Once we file your initial Parent/Child Petition and Adjustment of Status Application, you will be scheduled for an interview at a local USCIS office. Please begin to gather and send us documentation of your relationship now, though we will not share it with USCIS until the interview. Once the interview is scheduled, we will provide additional guidance and discuss whether you wish to have an attorney or translator attend with you.

Evidence of Parent/Child Relationship

  • Birth affidavits (in cases where birth certificate is insufficient);
  • Copies of school or medical records showing parent/child relationship;
  • Photographs of you together (from as early as possible).

Filing fees for alien relative petition and adjustment of status application

For clients of Curran, Berger & Kludt, the filing fees are due in total before the date of filing and are reflected on your monthly billing statement. Current USCIS filing fees can be confirmed here.