Necessary Items

Immigration History of Principal Applicant and All Dependent Applicants

  • Color copy of your current passport biographic page (the page with your photo and full name listed)
  • Copies of biographic pages for all expired passports used to enter the U.S.
  • Copies of all U.S. visa stamps and entry stamps from all current and expired passports
  • Copy of your most recent electronically issued I-94 OR I-94 entry card
  • Six (6) passport-style photographs. See Photo Requirements here.
  • Copies of all approval notices received from USCIS
  • Copies of I-20s (issued if you were ever in F-1/F-2 status in the U.S.)
  • Copies of DS-2019s or IAP-66s (issued if you were ever in J-1/J-2 status in the U.S.) and I-612 J waiver approval notices (if applicable)
  • Copy of your long-form birth certificate. Please note: your birth certificate must include your name, date and place of birth, and the names of both your mother and father. Please contact the Paralegal assigned to your case if you have any questions about this requirement.
  • Copy of your marriage certificate
  • Copy of any divorce certificates for you and your spouse

Are you missing any biographical documents from abroad? Visit the State Department Reciprocity Schedule and enter your home country into the search box. Scroll down the page to find instructions for obtaining the document needed.

FAQ: What if I can’t find my previous student visa documents? Contact the school to see if they still have copies they can share with you. If not, please consult with us regarding your options.

FAQ: What if I was issued an electronic I-94? Some I-94s at air and sea ports are now issued by a passport stamp and an electronic record you can access online. Your electronic record of admission may be accessed at, please send us a printed copy or a screenshot. Land border entries will continue to receive a paper Form I-94 from CBP. If you have trouble accessing your electronic I-94 after several attempts and methods, you can contact Deferred Inspection. Find the closest Deferred Inspection site here. If you still cannot access your I-94, please let us know.

For the Principal Applicant Only

  • Two (2) recent paystubs if you are currently employed. Please note that paystubs must be dated as close to the time of filing as possible. We may need to ask for additional, newer paystubs if you provide one early in the process.
  • If you have self-petitioned for permanent residence, then please send a copy of last year’s federal income tax return, plus W-2 (click here for instructions on how to request a transcript of your federal tax return).  If you did not file a tax return or were not making sufficient income to sponsor your family, then we will discuss this with you and prepare an I-134 form and/or a self-employment letter.
  • If you are a CONRAD doctor, please send us copies of W-2s and paystubs to show for the three-year term work requirement for your J-1 waiver. W-2s will cover full years worked, and paystubs will be evidence of part-years worked, or for years where you have not yet received the W-2.

For Dependent Spouse (if married for less than two years)

  • Evidence of relationship. Please gather relevant documents to establish evidence of your marriage. Documents may include, but are not limited to:
    • Lease or mortgage contract showing joint residence
    • Copies of Driver’s Licenses showing joint residence
    • Financial records showing joint ownership of assets/joint responsibility for liabilities such as:
      • Jointly filed tax returns
      • Joint checking and/or savings account records
      • Insurance policies that list spouse as beneficiary
      • Joint bills
    • Photos of you together with other people

Draft Forms

You do not need to sign the forms listed below. Once we have your information, the Paralegal on your case will draft the final forms and send them to you for signature. The linked forms are in the PDF format.

Form I-485, Application for Adjustment of Status (Pages 9-14 only)

  • Please complete pages 9 through 14 for yourself and all of your dependents. Please be sure to answer every question.
  • If you have EVER had any problems entering the U.S., obtaining a U.S. visa, or ANY contact with the police in any country, please let us know.

FAQ: What sorts of memberships should I list on page 9 of the I-485 form? The most important things to list here are political (communist/socialist) affiliations, military service, or anything that involved weapons training. You can also list professional or academic associations. There is no need to list things like gym or library memberships. If you have have previous military or communist party membership, please prepare a short (1-2 sentence) explanation.

Medical Examination

  • Each member of your family who is applying for adjustment of status is required to have a medical examination with a USCIS doctor.
  • PLEASE NOTE: USCIS The medical exam is valid for 2 years, but it must be completed 60 days or less before the AOS is filed, or it can be completed after the AOS is filed. Please double check with the team handling your case before making an appointment for your exam.
  • The exam results will be returned to you in a sealed envelope. Please send the envelope to us unopened.
  • When you go to your appointment, bring a copy of the latest I-693 medical exam form, so that you can be sure the doctor uses the current form.
  • There is a vaccination requirement for the USCIS medical exam, so you should bring any vaccination records you have to the exam. If you do not have any vaccination records, you may be given inoculations during the exam and have to pay for them out of pocket.
  • Please note that all applicants must have a tuberculin skin test or a blood test during their USCIS exam. ​ ​Our understanding is that the blood test is more accurate but more expensive.  If you might test positive to the skin test (for example if you were vaccinated for TB), then it might be better to do the blood test.  ​If you have questions about this, please talk to your regular physician.
  • To find a list of USCIS doctors in your area, type your zip code into the Civil Surgeon Locator.

FAQ: Can you recommend a civil surgeon? We may have recommendations for some areas and not others, so feel free to ask the team working on your case. Please tell us if you’ve had a good or bad experience with your civil surgeon so that we can continue to update our list.

Do not send us original documents. You should send us copies or scans of your items and keep the originals in a safe place. If you have sent us an item already, you do not need to send it again. Just let us know if you’ve already sent it.

You can either e-mail us scanned copies or mail us paper copies. However, we can only accept e-mails up to 25 MB in size. If you need to send us large amounts of information, please create a .zip file.

Feel free to send us your documents as they become available. There is no need to wait until you have everything. We usually can get started with just a few items. If you have any questions, or think that obtaining a necessary document will be difficult, don’t hesitate to contact us so we can discuss a plan to move forward.

If a document is not in English, then a certified translation is required. Our firm can order a translation for you at an additional cost, or you can have your document translated and certified using a translation certification statement, signed and notarized.  You may not certify translations of your own documents, nor those of any family member. For a translation certification statement, click here.