• Signed G-28 forms (at least six) – we will prepare
  • Completed and signed DS-3035 data sheet (at least two) – we will prepare
  • Clear copies of the front and back of all IAP-66s and DS-2019s
  • Clear color copy of the biographic page of your passport
  • Copy of signed and dated employment contract signed by the Physician and the Executive Director of the health care facility indicating the name and address of both employee and employer (including annual salary), list of all facilities and addresses where the physician will work, and containing the following sample text:
    • For Conrad waivers within Massachusetts: “[Employer] will comply with the J-1 visa monitoring activities, and will notify the Massachusetts Department of Public Health in writing at least two weeks in advance if the employee is no longer employed full-time at the facility within the three (3) year period.”
    • For Conrad waivers elsewhere: “Within 90 days of issuance of the J-1 visa waiver, employee will agree to the contractual requirements set forth in Section 214(1) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, and begin full time (at least 40 hours per week) employment for a period of at least three (3) years providing clinical care at [name of facility(ies)].”
  • Complete copy of all stamped pages in your passports
  • Clear copy of the front and back of your most recent I-94 card OR copy of electronically retrieved I-94
  • Copy of all immigration notices (if any)
  • Current detailed resume or CV
  • Copy of your diplomas and transcripts with certified translations (if applicable)
  • Copy of all certificates, including residency certificates with certified translations (if applicable)
  • Copy of your ECFMG certificate
  • Copy of your USMLE parts 1, 2, and 3 score reports
  • Copy of un-expired medical license for the state of intended employment or first page of the license application (need to show that the physician will meet all necessary medical licensure requirements for the state prior to employment)


  • Have you ever applied for a case number from the U.S. State Department for any J-1 waiver?
  • Name and contact information for the person who we can contact for copies of recruitment documents for your position
  • Name and address of the facility(ies) where you will be working
  • Telephone numbers and email where we can reach you
  • Offered salary
  • Do you and/or your immediate family members have any travel plans outside the U.S. for the next 6 months?
  • Your spouse and children’s full names, date of birth, and places of birth
  • Your spouse and child’s social security numbers (if any)
  • Their addresses, if different from yours
  • The country of their citizenship
  • The dates and places of each of their last entries into the US
  • Have you ever filed a J-1 waiver with any other Employer or Agency?
  • Have you filed, or do plan on filing any other Conrads?

FAQ: What if I was issued an electronic I-94? Some I-94s at air and sea ports are now issued by a passport stamp and an electronic record you can access online. Your electronic record of admission may be accessed at, please send us a printed copy or a screenshot. Land border entries will continue to receive a paper Form I-94 from CBP.
If you have trouble accessing your electronic I-94 after several attempts and methods, you can contact deferred inspection. Find the closest deferred inspection site here. If you still cannot access your I-94, please let us know.

Do not send us original documents. You should send us copies or scans of your items and keep the originals in a safe place. If you have sent us an item already, you do not need to send it again. Just let us know if you’ve already sent it.

You can either e-mail us scanned copies or mail us paper copies. However, we can only accept e-mails up to 25 MB in size. If you need to send us large amounts of information, please create a .zip file.

Feel free to send us your documents as they become available. There is no need to wait until you have everything. We usually can get started with just a few items. If you have any questions, or think that obtaining a necessary document will be difficult, don’t hesitate to contact us so we can discuss a plan to move forward.

If a document is not in English, then a certified translation is required. Our firm can order a translation for you at an additional cost, or you can have your document translated and certified using a translation certification statement, signed and notarized.  You may not certify translations of your own documents, nor those of any family member. For a translation certification statement, click here.